Thursday, February 14, 2008

Somebody wants my mundane and ordinary identity...

Because apparently it's mundane and ordinary enough to ship to me $1000 worth of stuff I did not order BUT WAS CHARGED TO MY FARKING CREDIT CARD!!!

I think they might've tried to ship it to themselves. On the packing slip (and on the *first* UPS delivery sticker on the box - there was another pasted over it with my correct address), the name is mine, the city/state/zip is mine - but the phone number and street address are not. Thing is, I called the number - it's not in service. And there is no street like that in my city/state/zip (or surrounding areas, I've already looked - couldn't even find that street in my state).

And yes, the charge is already in dispute and the shit will be going back tomorrow. The very helpful and pleasant woman I spoke with at the credit card company assured me we will not pay for this stuff, and tried to offer me more comfort by suggesting that it may have been an internal billing error by the company. But I have never ordered from a military supply company, so there is no reason they should have my credit card number.

I have also already checked our other accounts, printed lists and will spend the night cross-checking all of those with my receipts, as well as reviewing my credit report at length. Right now, it doesn't look like anything else is going on. Credit reports from all three agencies look fine - though I have only scrolled down over them and have yet to go over them in detail (they're still printing). Nothing there that jumped out at me, but I will still go over them with a fine tooth comb.

I went ahead and placed the fraud alert that the credit reporting agencies offer - though this was a charge to my existing credit card, so tomorrow I will also be calling and closing that account and opening a new one. This fraud alert is an initial 90-day fraud alert that requires creditors to jump through extra hoops to verify that it is ME requesting credit if someone requests more credit in my name (whether a new account or upping the credit on my current accounts).

And I'm wondering if I shouldn't just mark on my calendar to renew the 90-day initial fraud alert every 90 days this year? Does this look bad to creditors? Or do they just require more identification from me if I'm applying for credit?

I don't *anticipate* needing more credit this year for anything, and if they just require more identification to verify it's me making the credit request - then I kind of like the idea of always having the initial 90-day Fraud Alert thing on my file. As in, for the rest of my life.

Happy freaking Valentine's night to me! And I really wanted to get lucky. I do NOT call this "lucky".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home