If a rose is a rose by any other name - isn't Helium too?
This afternoon my boys (ages 4 and 6) embarked on a lofty science experiment... They decided they wanted to blow up balloons to release in the air so they could watch them "magically float away to join the fairies" like they have released the helium-filled balloons we get at certain restaurants.
When they first told me of their plans, I had to immediately squelch the urge to tell them that balloons filled with the air of mere humans does not possess such magical powers. Or rather, I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "They won't do that when you blow them up."
It has always been my base instinct to constantly correct and squash creativity....I am, after all, the glowing example product of public schooling. But I am working on overcoming my limitations - the ones put in place for me by years of constant correcting, pre-determined curriculums, drill and kill learning, etc - for the sake of my children.
So today I bit my tongue and let the boys take on this lofty and unattainable goal of producing a blown-up balloon that would float away into the fairy-filled skies. And they tackled the job like pros, blowing up balloon after balloon that failed to float away.
After the first balloon failed to float away, they hypothesized that perhaps they ought to have blown the balloon up in the outside air instead of the inside air and tried that... When that failed, they hypothesized that it was the color of the balloon that determined whether or not it floated away - at least until the 4yr-old pointed out that the balloons they've let float away from restaurants were all different kinds of colors... So then they decided that perhaps they needed to release their balloons in the sun instead of the shade...but that didn't work either.
Round and round they went, formulating hypothesis after hypothesis, failing time after time - yet never once did their enthusiasm or determination falter a bit. Meanwhile, I sat on the porch and continued to bite my tongue, which required less and less effort as I marveled in the scientific process my pre-school aged children were developing on their own! (If that isn't a testament to the power of children's ability to naturally explore their knowledge and build on it without the direction of a "teacher" or the confines of a "classroom", I don't know what is.)
In the end, after multiple attempts and adjustments to their experimental controls - the boys concluded there was "special air" in the balloons from the restaurant that their mouths simply couldn't produce.
And this is where most people would have stepped in to offer the answer (assuming they had even made it this far) - that helium is required to make a balloon float away into the clouds.
But I did not.
Instead, I realized something... One does not need to know that a rose is a called a rose to appreciate it's fragrance, understand the multitude of colors it comes in, be aware of the care and feeding of its plants to be grown successfully - all of these can be done even if you call it a pig. A rose is a rose by any other name, after all.
And so is helium. Sure, kids in traditional school settings might learn the proper name of helium - but what working knowledge do they have that my boys do not?
I suppose one could argue that if my boys don't know the name of helium and ever found themselves in the position of needing it (to make something else float, for example), they wouldn't know what to ask for...
But then I will just argue that my boys, having been raised without the rigid confines and constraints of learning inside the box of a classroom, would have their ingenuity and creativity intact enough to simply walk into Walmart with whatever it was that they needed to float and ask the clerk for some of that "special air" they filled balloons with.
When they first told me of their plans, I had to immediately squelch the urge to tell them that balloons filled with the air of mere humans does not possess such magical powers. Or rather, I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "They won't do that when you blow them up."
It has always been my base instinct to constantly correct and squash creativity....I am, after all, the glowing example product of public schooling. But I am working on overcoming my limitations - the ones put in place for me by years of constant correcting, pre-determined curriculums, drill and kill learning, etc - for the sake of my children.
So today I bit my tongue and let the boys take on this lofty and unattainable goal of producing a blown-up balloon that would float away into the fairy-filled skies. And they tackled the job like pros, blowing up balloon after balloon that failed to float away.
After the first balloon failed to float away, they hypothesized that perhaps they ought to have blown the balloon up in the outside air instead of the inside air and tried that... When that failed, they hypothesized that it was the color of the balloon that determined whether or not it floated away - at least until the 4yr-old pointed out that the balloons they've let float away from restaurants were all different kinds of colors... So then they decided that perhaps they needed to release their balloons in the sun instead of the shade...but that didn't work either.
Round and round they went, formulating hypothesis after hypothesis, failing time after time - yet never once did their enthusiasm or determination falter a bit. Meanwhile, I sat on the porch and continued to bite my tongue, which required less and less effort as I marveled in the scientific process my pre-school aged children were developing on their own! (If that isn't a testament to the power of children's ability to naturally explore their knowledge and build on it without the direction of a "teacher" or the confines of a "classroom", I don't know what is.)
In the end, after multiple attempts and adjustments to their experimental controls - the boys concluded there was "special air" in the balloons from the restaurant that their mouths simply couldn't produce.
And this is where most people would have stepped in to offer the answer (assuming they had even made it this far) - that helium is required to make a balloon float away into the clouds.
But I did not.
Instead, I realized something... One does not need to know that a rose is a called a rose to appreciate it's fragrance, understand the multitude of colors it comes in, be aware of the care and feeding of its plants to be grown successfully - all of these can be done even if you call it a pig. A rose is a rose by any other name, after all.
And so is helium. Sure, kids in traditional school settings might learn the proper name of helium - but what working knowledge do they have that my boys do not?
I suppose one could argue that if my boys don't know the name of helium and ever found themselves in the position of needing it (to make something else float, for example), they wouldn't know what to ask for...
But then I will just argue that my boys, having been raised without the rigid confines and constraints of learning inside the box of a classroom, would have their ingenuity and creativity intact enough to simply walk into Walmart with whatever it was that they needed to float and ask the clerk for some of that "special air" they filled balloons with.
6 Comments:
I love it!!!!!
I can just see the whole process that those two went through to come up with the special air conclusion. And kuddos to mama for being such an exceptional writer!
Luv ya-Katy
Hey, Love the changes in your site! It's so pretty! I like your essay,also -- but, I have to admit - now that my guys are in public school - that public school is not exactly the evil thing that many conceive it to be. I can only speak from my experience, but my boys' creativity is being celebrated and encouraged. I would say that your guys are experiencing a similar wonderful education, plus the many personal experiences that only home schooling can provide - but just because you have chosen something wonderful for your guys (and girl, of course) doesn't mean that all public school children are creatively/emotionally/intellectually stunted. I know that you didn't say that they were...but I felt like it was implied. Anyway, good stuff! I'm glad you reminded me to check it out. Love you!, Gonzo
Hey, Love the changes in your site! It's so pretty! I like your essay,also -- but, I have to admit - now that my guys are in public school - that public school is not exactly the evil thing that many conceive it to be. I can only speak from my experience, but my boys' creativity is being celebrated and encouraged. I would say that your guys are experiencing a similar wonderful education, plus the many personal experiences that only home schooling can provide - but just because you have chosen something wonderful for your guys (and girl, of course) doesn't mean that all public school children are creatively/emotionally/intellectually stunted. I know that you didn't say that they were...but I felt like it was implied. Anyway, good stuff! I'm glad you reminded me to check it out. Love you!, Gonzo
Gonzo -
Of course not all school situations are stunting creativity... Unfortunately the vast majority of them are. And there are those that argue they all do, merely by their very structure (and despite how fabulous staff and teachers may be). I don't necessarily subscribe to that belief, but I will say that the farther I get into my education degree (almost done!), the less faith I have in our public school system overall (though there are surely good schools here and there). It does what it was created to do, and I don't get why so many are now wondering why it isn't achieving an altogether different goal. Again, these statements are about our system overall, and about our current political constraints on that system.
It's strange -- I ended up my education degree feeling totally disgusted with the public school system, too. And this was the primary reason for seeking alternative education. And I did my student teaching in a wretched school where I am sure no learning was possible. However, now that I am a parent, and have experienced the failures of one alt. educational experience, I am happily surprised to find that 'the system' really isn't as bad as it appears in our teacher education texts and lessons. I can't say that I believe the vast majority of public schools are stunting growth, etc. I'd totally agree, however, that it has particular failings due to particular communities and individuals. But, I believe this to be true for most organizations. And many people do find it best to work independently (like both of our husbands) or in some alternative type setting. But, now that I've had the experience of being a parent in a public school, I can not say that the system overall is a bad one. And I can't say that there are only a few good schools and good teachers here and there. I believe the system generally works - but when it doesn't it is devastating. And, now that I think about it -- I do believe that the system works better for some than others. I know how to be both friendly, persistent, and insistent. I also present myself as largely mainstream, with just a touch of quirkiness -- which is generally perceived as intelligence and good humor...hmmm. Well, I still can't indict the whole system, but it is possible that my kids are more likely than others to get the attention they need.
Merely, I'm really enjoying this conversation! Please don't think I am upset in any way. This is great stuff to think about. And I know that both of us have strong opinions, but neither of our strong opinions about any subject could possibly be stronger than our respect and admiration for each other.
Gonzo - we really need to get together and talk this out in person some time! Over coffee... *drools*
It's an interesting point - that teachers come out of their degrees convinced the system is failing...hmmm....food for thought on that one.
Of course, I thought the system was failing before I started my degree, lol. I think the system does what it wass designed to do (in general), and my biggest beefs with the system are those that are innate and inherent in the system and won't vary from community to community.
Again, that's my personal opinion...and now I have some more thoughts on the matter and I think I have a new entry to post!
~*Merely Me*~
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home